Pope fitted with pacemaker "some time ago" - Vatican
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Benedict had a heart pacemaker installed some time ago but was not suffering from poor health and remained lucid and serene in the wake of his decision to resign, the Vatican spokesman said on Tuesday.
It had not been generally known that the 85-year-old pope had been fitted with a pacemaker.
Father Federico Lombardi said the batteries on the appliance were replaced three months ago in a minor, routine intervention but that had played no part in persuading the pontiff to take the shock decision to step down.
"It had no influence on the decision, the reasons were in his perception that his strength had diminished with advancing age," Lombardi told a press briefing at the Vatican.
(Reporting By Philip Pullella)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- Polls say Scotland will spurn independence, but are they right?
- Low-carb diets may beat low-fat options for weight loss, heart health
- Ukraine accuses Russia of 'undisguised aggression' as rebels advance |
- Golf-U.S. PGA Tour Deutsche Bank Championship scores