UPDATE 1-UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Friday Feb. 22
Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening 29 points higher, or as much as up 0.5 percent, on Friday, according to financial bookmakers. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on
* The FTSE 100 closed down 103.83 points, or 1.6 percent, at 6,291.54, on Thursday dropping below the 6,300 level for the first time in 10 days. Stocks that benefit the most in rising markets, or "cyclicals", fell furthest.
Britain's blue chip shares posted their biggest one-day loss since July on concerns the Federal Reserve could end its stimulus programme sooner than expected, removing a driver of the recent equity rally.
* There is no important economic data scheduled for release in the UK or the United States on Friday.
* ITV : The media regulator Ofcom is backing a plan by ITV to slash its regional news output in exchange for offering more localised bulletins across England, according to the Times.
* BUMI : Nat Rothschild lost his high-stakes power struggle to clear out the board of beleaguered coal miner Bumi but will remain a shareholder.
* BOWLEVEN : The explorer says its latest Cameroon well has found hydrocarbons.
* MEDITERRANEAN OIL & GAS : The oil explorer moves step closer to developing Italy gas field.
* MILLENIUM & COPTHORNE HOTELS : The Asia-focused hotelier reports a 15 percent fall in annual profits.
* DATONG : Following an approach by a potential offeror the company is seeking offers through formal sale process.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for: * 3000 Xtra : visit* BridgeStation: view story .134(Written by David Brett)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this