Tennis-Wozniacki slips to shock defeat in Malaysia
Feb 27 (Reuters) - Former world number one Caroline Wozniacki suffered one of her worst career defeats when she bowed out of the Malaysia Open to 186th-ranked Chinese qualifier Qiang Wang on Wednesday.
The Dane, top seed at the event in Kuala Lumpur, cruised through the opening set of her first round clash and had a match point in the second before going down 2-6 7-6 6-1.
Qualifier Wang, 21, allowed Wozniacki only one point in the second set tiebreak as she levelled the match and rolled through the decider to claim her biggest careeer win.
Wozniacki, a semi-finalist last week in Dubai, has slipped to 10th in the world rankings.
Wang will face Austrian Patricia Mayr-Achleitner next. (Writing by Martyn Herman, Editing by Tom Pilcher)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- North Korea executes leader's powerful uncle in rare public purge |
- Ex-Kaupthing bankers convicted of abuses related to Qatari investment
- 'Unfit' defendant in British phone-hacking case dropped from trial
- North Korea says Jang Song Thaek, uncle of leader Kim Jong Un, executed
- UK economy set for fastest growth in seven years in 2014 - BCC