Tennis-Wozniacki slips to shock defeat in Malaysia
Feb 27 (Reuters) - Former world number one Caroline Wozniacki suffered one of her worst career defeats when she bowed out of the Malaysia Open to 186th-ranked Chinese qualifier Qiang Wang on Wednesday.
The Dane, top seed at the event in Kuala Lumpur, cruised through the opening set of her first round clash and had a match point in the second before going down 2-6 7-6 6-1.
Qualifier Wang, 21, allowed Wozniacki only one point in the second set tiebreak as she levelled the match and rolled through the decider to claim her biggest careeer win.
Wozniacki, a semi-finalist last week in Dubai, has slipped to 10th in the world rankings.
Wang will face Austrian Patricia Mayr-Achleitner next. (Writing by Martyn Herman, Editing by Tom Pilcher)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- British Muslims blame jihadi subculture after beheading video
- Trucks from aid convoy to Ukraine start crossing back into Russia |
- Shi'ite militia kill dozens of Iraqi Sunnis in mosque shooting
- U.S. says Russia must pull convoy from Ukraine or face more sanctions |
- U.S. hostage rescuers dropped from night sky, Syria activist says