- Actor James Gandolfini, star of 'The Sopranos,' dies in Italy
- British Supreme Court ruling threatens Western sanctions against Iran
- Britain to start sale of Lloyds soon, review RBS split |
- US STOCKS-Wall St drops after Bernanke hints at slowing stimulus
- Italian designers Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion
Queen Elizabeth cancels Italy visit over health - presidency
ROME (Reuters) - Queen Elizabeth has cancelled a trip to Italy this week because of health reasons, the Italian presidency announced on Sunday.
The Queen was to have visited Italy March 6-7 as a guest of Italian President Giorgio Napolitano.
The monarch cancelled a visit to the Welsh city of Swansea because of a stomach upset on March 1.
The president's office said it had been informed about the cancellation by Britain's ambassador to Rome, Christopher Prentice, who told Italian officials that the Queen needed "medical checks".
Queen Elizabeth marked 60 years on the throne last year and remains hugely popular in Britain.
(Reporting by Naomi O'Leary)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this