UK construction output down 7.9 percent year-on-year in January
LONDON (Reuters) - British construction output fell an annual 7.9 percent in January, non-seasonally adjusted data showed on Friday.
Compared with December, output was 6.3 percent lower, the Office for National Statistics said.
Despite making up less than 7 percent of Britain's economy, weak construction output was the main drag on growth last year, pushing the country back into recession.
Surveys have also pointed to weakness in the sector. The Markit/CIPS construction index hit a three-year low last month, dragged down by falls in civil engineering activity and commercial work.
(Reporting by Christina Fincher)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Malaysia air force chief denies saying lost plane tracked to west |
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Ukraine appeals to West as Crimea turns to Russia |
- Front companies, embassies mask North Korean weapons trade - U.N.
- Special Report - How China's official bank card is used to smuggle money