Tennis-Kvitova ousted by Kirilenko at Indian Wells
INDIAN WELLS, California, March 13
INDIAN WELLS, California, March 13 (Reuters) - Fifth-seeded Czech Petra Kvitova was knocked out of the BNP Paribas Open by Russian Maria Kirilenko who reached the semi-finals here for the first time with a 4-6 6-4 6-3 victory on Wednesday.
Left-hander Kvitova double-faulted 13 times during an error-strewn match which ended after almost two-and-a-half hours when the Czech blasted a forehand long on a steaming hot afternoon at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
Kirilenko, who won her sixth WTA singles title at Pattaya City last month, screamed in delight while pumping her fists in celebration after extending her unbeaten record this year in three-set matches to 6-0.
The 13th-seeded Russian will next meet either compatriot Maria Sharapova, the second seed, or sixth-seeded Italian Sara Errani who were playing their quarter-final later on Wednesday. (Reporting by Mark Lamport-Stokes; Editing by Frank Pingue)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Deadly gun attack in eastern Ukraine shakes fragile Geneva accord |
- South Korea recovers first bodies from inside sunken ferry |
- Bankrupt British loans official resigns, embarrassing PM Cameron
- Special Report - How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- Australia sees 'regroup' on Malaysian plane search in a few days |