Cricket-De Kock replaces Du Plessis in South Africa squad
CAPE TOWN, March 19
CAPE TOWN, March 19 (Reuters) - South Africa have called up Quinton de Kock to their squad for the two remaining one-day internationals against Pakistan.
The 20-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman replaces Faf du Plessis, who will rest a lower back problem that has also ruled him out of the first four weeks of the Indian Premier League, where he plays for the Chennai Super Kings.
"Faf has been troubled by low back pain over the past while," Proteas team manager Mohammed Moosajee said in a statement released by Cricket South Africa on Tuesday.
"He was recently diagnosed with bony inflammation in the lumbar spine and a six-week rest period has been advised."
De Kock played in three one-day internationals against New Zealand in January, where he kept wicket in place of AB de Villiers.
Although the left-hander averaged only 25 with the bat with a highest score of 31, he is viewed as the long-term successor to De Villiers with the gloves.
South Africa lead the five-match series against Pakistan 2-1 with matches to come in Durban on Thursday and Benoni on Sunday. (Reporting by Nick Said in Cape Town; editing by Mark Meadows; firstname.lastname@example.org +27832722948 Messaging email@example.com)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- Insight - European regulators training sights on Google's mobile software
- Argentina braces for market reaction to second default in 12 years |
- Gaza toll soars as Israel 'days' from completing tunnel hunt |
- 'Complacent' NATO unprepared for Russian threat - MPs