Germany call up Bender as Draxler ruled out
(Reuters) - Germany have called up midfielder Sven Bender for Tuesday's World Cup qualifier against Kazakhstan in Nuremberg because Bastian Schweinsteiger is suspended and Julian Draxler is sidelined through concussion.
Schweinsteiger was banned for one game after being booked in the 3-0 win over Kazakhstan in Astana on Friday. He opened the scoring in that match while Draxler was taken off in the 19th minute following a clash with an opponent.
"The suspicion of concussion was confirmed on Saturday," the team said in a statement before adding the player had left the squad's base in Bavaria.
Coach Joachim Loew's Germany are five points clear of second-placed Sweden in Group C with 13 points from five matches.
Sweden, who drew 0-0 with Ireland on Friday, have eight points from four games.
Borussia Dortmund's Bender missed Friday's game with flu.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- More Ukrainian soldiers killed, Poroshenko defends peace plan
- India gets its first transgender TV news anchor - newspaper
- Nonplussed Lampard rewrites his Chelsea story with City goal
- Cameron shifts tack on constitutional shake-up to mollify Scots
- Nationalists push for Irish unity vote after 'inspiring' Scottish referendum