Tennis-Berdych to miss Czech Davis Cup quarter-final
PRAGUE, March 29
PRAGUE, March 29 (Reuters) - World number six Tomas Berdych will miss Czech Republic's Davis Cup quarter-final next week when the champions take on Kazakhstan.
Berdych dropped out after losing Thursday's Sony Open quarter-final against Frenchman Richard Gasquet 6-3 6-3 in Miami.
"Last night's match was the last straw for me," he told the Czech Davis Cup Facebook page.
"I woke up this morning and my shoulder hurt so much that it was clear I would not be able to play in Kazakhstan."
The Czech team will now be Radek Stepanek, Lukas Rosol, Jan Hajek and Ivo Minar. (Reporting by Jan Lopatka, editing by Tony Jimenez)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Exclusive - Apple, Google agree to pay over $300 million to settle conspiracy lawsuit
- Brazilian Congress passes Internet bill of rights
- Moyes left all at sea by scale of United job, says former coach
- Boy and girl on Korean ferry drowned with life jackets tied together |
- Ukraine forces kill up to five rebels; Russia starts drill near border |