Tennis-Berdych to miss Czech Davis Cup quarter-final
PRAGUE, March 29
PRAGUE, March 29 (Reuters) - World number six Tomas Berdych will miss Czech Republic's Davis Cup quarter-final next week when the champions take on Kazakhstan.
Berdych dropped out after losing Thursday's Sony Open quarter-final against Frenchman Richard Gasquet 6-3 6-3 in Miami.
"Last night's match was the last straw for me," he told the Czech Davis Cup Facebook page.
"I woke up this morning and my shoulder hurt so much that it was clear I would not be able to play in Kazakhstan."
The Czech team will now be Radek Stepanek, Lukas Rosol, Jan Hajek and Ivo Minar. (Reporting by Jan Lopatka, editing by Tony Jimenez)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Europe won't recognise vote in eastern Ukraine, Merkel tells Putin
- Portugal scrambles jets again to intercept Russian bombers
- Kurdish peshmerga forces enter Syria's Kobani after further air strikes |
- Australia Union wanted to rip up Beale contract - chairman
- Army officer takes charge in Burkina Faso, ousting general |