Tennis-Canada clinches Davis Cup semi-final berth
April 7 (Reuters) - Canada clinched their place in the Davis Cup semi-finals for the first time when they grabbed an unassailable lead over Italy in Vancouver on Sunday.
Canada led 2-1 overnight and their top-ranked player Milos Raonic secured the victory for his team when he defeated Andreas Seppi 6-4 6-4 3-6 7-5 in the first reverse singles match.
Canada will now play away to Serbia in the semi-finals in mid-September after the Europeans beat the United States earlier on Sunday.
The 22-year-old Raonic has emerged as Canada's trump card, winning both his singles matches against Italy.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- 'We won't pay,' furious Cameron tells EU over surprise bill |
- UPDATE 3-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin results
- TLC cancels reality TV programme 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo'
- Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting