Tennis-Canada clinches Davis Cup semi-final berth
April 7 (Reuters) - Canada clinched their place in the Davis Cup semi-finals for the first time when they grabbed an unassailable lead over Italy in Vancouver on Sunday.
Canada led 2-1 overnight and their top-ranked player Milos Raonic secured the victory for his team when he defeated Andreas Seppi 6-4 6-4 3-6 7-5 in the first reverse singles match.
Canada will now play away to Serbia in the semi-finals in mid-September after the Europeans beat the United States earlier on Sunday.
The 22-year-old Raonic has emerged as Canada's trump card, winning both his singles matches against Italy.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Qatar will not host 2022 World Cup, says FIFA's Zwanziger
- Tesco cuts profit outlook again and suspends staff after accounting error |
- Insight - Frankfurt exchange's China dream turns to nightmare
- Arab Bank liable over Hamas attacks - U.S. jury
- French national taken in Algeria, group claims kidnapping