Britain has lost "a great leader" in Thatcher - Cameron
LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister David Cameron said on Monday it was with great sadness he had learnt of the death of Margaret Thatcher, his predecessor as Conservative leader and prime minister who ruled from 1979 to 1990.
"We have lost a great leader, a great prime minister and a great Briton," Cameron said in a statement shortly after a spokesman for the Thatcher family said the former prime minister had died peacefully following a stroke.
The Queen also expressed sadness and said she would be sending a private message of sympathy to the family.
(Reporting By Estelle Shirbon; editing by Guy Faulconbridge)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast - source |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack - sources |
- High-profile British rail union leader Bob Crow dies
- Insight - Scotland's Salmond talks independence, but plays politics
- Voters more receptive to UKIP than polls show - study