Britain has lost "a great leader" in Thatcher - Cameron
LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister David Cameron said on Monday it was with great sadness he had learnt of the death of Margaret Thatcher, his predecessor as Conservative leader and prime minister who ruled from 1979 to 1990.
"We have lost a great leader, a great prime minister and a great Briton," Cameron said in a statement shortly after a spokesman for the Thatcher family said the former prime minister had died peacefully following a stroke.
The Queen also expressed sadness and said she would be sending a private message of sympathy to the family.
(Reporting By Estelle Shirbon; editing by Guy Faulconbridge)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Masked gunmen slay family collecting body at Honduras morgue, kill 9
- U.S. military failed in rescue attempt for journalist Foley
- Obama condemns killing of reporter, U.S. hits militants in Iraq |
- Israeli air strike kills three Hamas commanders in Gaza |
- Quindell's adjusted pretax profit nearly triples