Tennis-Monaco to meet Isner in Houston semi-finals
April 12 (Reuters) - Champion Juan Monaco of Argentina will face American John Isner in the semi-finals of the U.S. men's Clay Court Championship on Saturday, in a re-match of last year's Houston final.
Third-seeded Monaco cruised past American qualifier Robby Ginepri 6-1 6-0 in just 56 minutes, never facing break point, while Isner booked his place in the semi-finals with a 6-3 3-6 6-3 victory over Ricardas Berankis.
The big-serving Isner produced 19 aces and won 89 per cent of his first serve points as he overpowered the Lithuanian.
In other semi-final, top seed Nicolas Almagro will face 22-year-old American Rhyne Williams after Spaniard Almagro defeated Italian Paolo Lorenzi 6-4 6-4.
Almagro is seeking his 13th career title on his Houston debut. All of his previous 12 wins also been on clay.
Williams beat Spaniard Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo 7-6 1-6 6-4. (Reporting By Simon Evans; Editing by Greg Stutchbury)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Children's corpses in Korean ferry reveal desperate attempts to escape |
- Man United act to halt slide as power shifts back to Liverpool
- Australia vows to keep searching to solve missing Malaysian plane mystery
- Search for MH370 reveals a military vulnerability for China
- Ukraine government says resumes offensive, hopes for more U.S. help |