BoE's King stresses limits of monetary policy
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Monetary policy cannot do all the work of stimulating economic recovery, Bank of England head Mervyn King said on Tuesday.
"There are limits on the ability of monetary policy to stimulate demand," King told a conference sponsored by the International Monetary Fund.
King also said the economy would not rebound firmly as long as banks have too little capital.
The Bank decided not to pump fresh money into its stagnant economy earlier this month, despite a new remit that gives it more leeway to disregard above-target inflation.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- Kremlin adviser says military strategy to reflect Ukraine crisis, NATO expansion - RIA
- Low-carb diets may beat low-fat options for weight loss, heart health
- Manchester United top deadline-day big spenders
- Europe drafts emergency energy plan with eye on Russia gas shut-down