BoE's King stresses limits of monetary policy
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Monetary policy cannot do all the work of stimulating economic recovery, Bank of England head Mervyn King said on Tuesday.
"There are limits on the ability of monetary policy to stimulate demand," King told a conference sponsored by the International Monetary Fund.
King also said the economy would not rebound firmly as long as banks have too little capital.
The Bank decided not to pump fresh money into its stagnant economy earlier this month, despite a new remit that gives it more leeway to disregard above-target inflation.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso
- Exclusive - Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- Zidane makes mystery man Markkanen his first Madrid signing
- Spain's Swiftair says lost contact with plane en route to Algiers
- British manufacturing emerges from years in the shadows