EU to discuss Syria arms embargo in coming weeks - Hague
ISTANBUL (Reuters) - The European Union will discuss the question of easing an arms embargo preventing weapons supplies to Syrian rebels in the coming weeks, British Foreign Secretary William Hague said on Sunday.
"This is a discussion we have to have in the EU over the next six weeks. We and France have said there will be a strong case for lifting the embargo, amending the embargo," Hague told reporters at a meeting of the "Friends of Syria" in Istanbul.
He said the opposition had given the clearest commitment yet at the meeting to working towards a democratic solution in Syria and condemning extremism.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco scraps profit outlook as accounting black hole deepens
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- UKIP on course to win second parliamentary seat - poll
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- Canada PM vows crackdown after capital shocked by fatal attacks |