Tennis-Wimbledon prize money increases by 40 percent
LONDON, April 23
LONDON, April 23 (Reuters) - Wimbledon announced a 40 percent increase in prize money for this year's championships on Tuesday, making it the most lucrative tournament in tennis.
The winners of the men's and women's singles will pocket 1.6 million pounds ($2.44 million), a 39 percent rise on the 1.1 million pounds they received in 2012.
($1 = 0.6560 British pounds) (Reporting by Maertyn Herman, Editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Scotland's pro-independence campaign gains on final TV debate - poll
- Cameron says he's 'nervous' over Scottish independence vote
- China and Hong Kong poised for showdown over democracy
- Ukraine says Russian tanks flatten town; EU to threaten more sanctions |
- UPDATE 1-Cricket-One Day International England v India scoreboard