Tennis-Wimbledon prize money increases by 40 percent
LONDON, April 23
LONDON, April 23 (Reuters) - Wimbledon announced a 40 percent increase in prize money for this year's championships on Tuesday, making it the most lucrative tournament in tennis.
The winners of the men's and women's singles will pocket 1.6 million pounds ($2.44 million), a 39 percent rise on the 1.1 million pounds they received in 2012.
($1 = 0.6560 British pounds) (Reporting by Maertyn Herman, Editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Taxis, planes and viruses: How deadly Ebola can spread
- Israel looks for missing soldier; Hamas says he may have been killed |
- Gaza truce over, Israel soldier captured, 70 dead in Rafah shelling |
- Experts recover human remains at Ukraine crash site despite new fighting
- Campaign for an independent Scotland stalls before historic vote