Tennis-Wimbledon unveil plans for roof over Number One Court by 2019
LONDON, April 23
LONDON, April 23 (Reuters) - Wimbledon's Number One Court will have a retractable roof by 2019, the All England Club said on Tuesday.
Wimbledon broke with tradition by installing a roof on Centre Court in 2009 so play can continue even during the often fickle British summer weather.
Chairman Philip Brook told a news conference the design process would begin shortly, taking two years to complete before a three-year construction process. (Reporting by Martyn Herman, Editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hurricane-force winds wreak havoc in Britain, head to Europe
- Air traffic computer fault hits flights from England
- Jailed Islamist women to go free, Egyptian court rules
- Mexico hospitalizes six suspected of stealing radioactive material
- Nobel economics winner Fama says risk of global recession in 2014