Tennis-Qualifier Tursunov stuns top seed Ferrer in Barcelona
April 24 (Reuters) - Russian qualifier Dmitry Tursunov stunned top seed and world number four David Ferrer 7-5 3-6 6-1 in the second round of the Barcelona Open on Wednesday.
Four-time finalist Ferrer had pulled out of the Monte Carlo Masters event last week with an unspecified leg injury picked up when losing in the Miami final to Andy Murray last month.
The Spaniard capped an error-strewn display in sunny, but blustery conditions when he overhit a cross-shot to hand Tursunov victory.
Rafa Nadal, who beat Ferrer in last year's final, starts his bid for an eighth Barcelona title against Argentine Carlos Berlocq later on Wednesday.
(Reporting by Mark Elkington, editing by Justin Palmer)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Scotland's pro-independence campaign gains on final TV debate - poll
- Exclusive - Over 100 Russian soldiers killed in single Ukraine battle - Russian rights activists
- Separatists say will allow 'trapped' Ukrainian forces to withdraw |
- Iceland volcano alert at red after small eruption, no ash detected
- Russia says military planning will take account of NATO moves on borders