Figueredo officially succeeds Leoz as FIFA ethics probe revealed
ASUNCION (Reuters) - Uruguayan Eugenio Figueredo was officially appointed president of the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) in succession to Nicolas Leoz on Tuesday.
Figueredo, the regional body's 81-year-old vice-president since 1993, had been named last week as automatic successor to Paraguayan Leoz, who resigned eight days ago citing health reasons.
The 84-year-old Leoz resigned a week before FIFA's ethics committee revealed on Tuesday that he had received kickbacks from the world body's former marketing partner ISL which went bankrupt in 2001.
CONMEBOL will hold elections in 2015 when the current mandate ends, the body said in a statement issued after an executive committee meeting at its headquarters in Luque on the outskirts of Asuncion.
"(Figueredo) is also designated as member of FIFA´s executive committee in representation of this confederation," the statement added.
"We had the opportunity to say goodbye to Dr Leoz, it was a very emotive farewell to a football man... who did a lot for the South American Confederation," Figueredo told reporters.
(Reporting by Rex Gowar from Buenos Aires; additional reporting by Mariel Cristaldo in Asuncion, editing by Pritha Sarkar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco scraps profit outlook as accounting black hole deepens
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- UKIP on course to win second parliamentary seat - poll
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- Canada PM vows crackdown after capital shocked by fatal attacks |