REFILE-Tennis-Azarenka loses cool on way to Madrid Open exit
(Fixes spelling of Makarova)
MADRID May 8 (Reuters) - World number three Victoria Azarenka lost her temper on the way to a surprise 1-6 6-2 6-3 defeat by unseeded Russian Ekaterina Makarova in the Madrid Open second round on Wednesday.
The Belarussian third seed, runner-up in the last two editions of the premier clay event, appeared firmly in control against her 24th-ranked opponent after cruising through the first set.
However, Makarova raised her game to take the second set and after Azarenka smashed her racket on the ground at 3-3 in the decider her game fell apart and the Australian Open champion suffered her first defeat of the year. (Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Ken Ferris)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Thai crisis deepens as PM's supporters weigh in
- UK economy set for fastest growth in seven years in 2014 - BCC
- U.S., Britain suspend aid to north Syria after Islamists seize weapons store |
- Fake 'signer' at Mandela memorial outrages deaf
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study