REFILE-Tennis-Azarenka loses cool on way to Madrid Open exit
(Fixes spelling of Makarova)
MADRID May 8 (Reuters) - World number three Victoria Azarenka lost her temper on the way to a surprise 1-6 6-2 6-3 defeat by unseeded Russian Ekaterina Makarova in the Madrid Open second round on Wednesday.
The Belarussian third seed, runner-up in the last two editions of the premier clay event, appeared firmly in control against her 24th-ranked opponent after cruising through the first set.
However, Makarova raised her game to take the second set and after Azarenka smashed her racket on the ground at 3-3 in the decider her game fell apart and the Australian Open champion suffered her first defeat of the year. (Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Ken Ferris)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Islamic State issues video of beheading of U.S. hostage
- UPDATE 6-Islamic State issues video of beheading of U.S. hostage
- Child abuse revelations divide "most shameful town in Britain"
- UK's fate in the balance as poll shows record support for Scottish independence
- Ukraine rebels say they are poised to recapture Donetsk airport |