Tennis-Birthday blow as Murray retires injured in Rome
May 15 (Reuters) - Andy Murray retired injured from the Italian Open on his 26th birthday on Wednesday, moments after he had levelled the second round match by winning the second set against Spain's Marcel Granollers.
The Scot, who had lost the opening set 6-3, won the second 7-6 but then decided to retire due to a hip problem that had been troubling him.
The world number two had needed treatment on court after the third game of the second set with Granollers leading 2-1. (Reporting by Alan Baldwin in London, editing by Ken Ferris)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Ten countries scour sea for Malaysia jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Shots fired in air during raid at Crimea naval base |
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air - source |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report