Tennis-Serena Williams beats Azarenka to win Rome title
ROME May 19 (Reuters) - Serena Williams won her fourth consecutive tennis tour title when she thrashed former world number one Victoria Azarenka 6-1 6-3 to take the Italian Open on Sunday.
The American, who has not lost a match since Azarenka defeated her in the Doha final in February, completely overpowered the Belarussian on the Rome clay.
Williams, 31, hit nine aces and 41 winners in the two sets played in bright sunshine.
Her win, 11 years after she won her only previous Rome title, follows successes in Miami, Charleston and Madrid and will give her confidence for the French Open which starts next weekend.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso
- Exclusive - Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- Spain's Swiftair says lost contact with plane en route to Algiers
- Zidane makes mystery man Markkanen his first Madrid signing
- British manufacturing emerges from years in the shadows