Tennis-Serena Williams beats Azarenka to win Rome title
ROME May 19 (Reuters) - Serena Williams won her fourth consecutive tennis tour title when she thrashed former world number one Victoria Azarenka 6-1 6-3 to take the Italian Open on Sunday.
The American, who has not lost a match since Azarenka defeated her in the Doha final in February, completely overpowered the Belarussian on the Rome clay.
Williams, 31, hit nine aces and 41 winners in the two sets played in bright sunshine.
Her win, 11 years after she won her only previous Rome title, follows successes in Miami, Charleston and Madrid and will give her confidence for the French Open which starts next weekend.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UK house prices fall for first time in 17 months - Nationwide
- UK economy picks up in second quarter, recovery pace revised higher
- Analysis - Ukraine leader clings to European goal despite Putin
- Arsenal must now beat Galatasaray, says Cazorla
- Hong Kong protesters stockpile supplies, fear fresh police advance |