UPDATE 1-Tennis-Del Potro pulls out of French Open
PARIS May 22 (Reuters) - World number seven Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina has pulled out of next week's French Open tennis after failing to recover from a virus, organisers said on Wednesday.
Del Potro, who reached the quarter-finals at the claycourt grand-slam event last year, flew home after losing to Frenchman Benoit Paire in the Rome Masters last 16 last week.
"He has withdrawn," a French Federation spokesman told Reuters, confirming Argentine media reports.
"I am sad to miss such an important tournament, one that you always dream of winning," Del Potro was quoted as saying by the daily Ultima Hora's website (www.ultimahora.com).
Del Potro is the second top-10 player to withdraw from the French Open, which starts on Sunday at Roland Garros, after Briton Andy Murray announced he would miss the tournament because of a back injury.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Putin admits Russian forces were deployed to Crimea
- Three dead in east Ukraine, Putin warns of 'abyss' |
- Search for Malaysia jet refocuses on drone scans of sea floor
- Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors |
- India holds biggest day of voting with Hindu nationalists gaining strength