Magnitude 7.4 quake strikes in sea off Tonga - USGS
LONDON (Reuters) - A magnitude 7.4 earthquake struck in the sea 177 (285 km) miles southwest of Tonga's capital Nuku'alofa, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on Thursday.
It said the quake was recorded at a depth of 106 miles and had struck at 1719 GMT.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center on its website said that no "destructive Pacific-wide tsunami" was expected.
(Editing by Michael Roddy)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Polls say Scotland will spurn independence, but are they right?
- Ukraine accuses Russia of 'undisguised aggression' as rebels advance |
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-U.S. Open women's singles round 4 results
- Iceland cuts aviation alert to orange, no ash from new eruption |
- Australia unveils fresh sanctions against Russia over Ukraine