Magnitude 7.4 quake strikes in sea off Tonga - USGS
LONDON (Reuters) - A magnitude 7.4 earthquake struck in the sea 177 (285 km) miles southwest of Tonga's capital Nuku'alofa, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on Thursday.
It said the quake was recorded at a depth of 106 miles and had struck at 1719 GMT.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center on its website said that no "destructive Pacific-wide tsunami" was expected.
(Editing by Michael Roddy)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hong Kong protests approach potential National Day flashpoint |
- Analysis - Financial market storm brewing as 2014 winds down
- British financial watchdog to investigate Tesco accounting scandal
- Eyeing 2015 vote, Cameron pledges 7 billion pounds in tax cuts
- Hong Kong leader plays waiting game, protesters demand he resigns |