Magnitude 7.4 quake strikes in sea off Tonga - USGS
LONDON (Reuters) - A magnitude 7.4 earthquake struck in the sea 177 (285 km) miles southwest of Tonga's capital Nuku'alofa, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on Thursday.
It said the quake was recorded at a depth of 106 miles and had struck at 1719 GMT.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center on its website said that no "destructive Pacific-wide tsunami" was expected.
(Editing by Michael Roddy)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Children's corpses reveal desperate attempts to escape Korean ferry |
- Russia says it will respond if Ukraine interests attacked |
- Australia, Malaysia vow to keep searching to solve plane mystery
- Search for MH370 reveals a military vulnerability for China
- Man United act to halt slide as power shifts back to Liverpool