Magnitude 7.4 quake strikes in sea off Tonga - USGS
LONDON (Reuters) - A magnitude 7.4 earthquake struck in the sea 177 (285 km) miles southwest of Tonga's capital Nuku'alofa, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on Thursday.
It said the quake was recorded at a depth of 106 miles and had struck at 1719 GMT.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center on its website said that no "destructive Pacific-wide tsunami" was expected.
(Editing by Michael Roddy)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, Salmond resigns |
- French jets strike in Iraq, expanding U.S.-led campaign against Islamic State |
- Scots independence polls close, UK's future in the balance |
- China hands drugmaker GSK record $489 million fine for paying bribes
- Austrian leader says Putin sees progress in Ukraine crisis