Magnitude 7.4 quake strikes in sea off Tonga - USGS
LONDON (Reuters) - A magnitude 7.4 earthquake struck in the sea 177 (285 km) miles southwest of Tonga's capital Nuku'alofa, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on Thursday.
It said the quake was recorded at a depth of 106 miles and had struck at 1719 GMT.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center on its website said that no "destructive Pacific-wide tsunami" was expected.
(Editing by Michael Roddy)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco scraps profit outlook as accounting black hole deepens
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- UKIP on course to win second parliamentary seat - poll
- Canada PM vows crackdown after capital shocked by fatal attacks |