Magnitude 7.4 quake strikes in sea off Tonga - USGS
LONDON (Reuters) - A magnitude 7.4 earthquake struck in the sea 177 (285 km) miles southwest of Tonga's capital Nuku'alofa, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on Thursday.
It said the quake was recorded at a depth of 106 miles and had struck at 1719 GMT.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center on its website said that no "destructive Pacific-wide tsunami" was expected.
(Editing by Michael Roddy)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Putin admits Russian forces were deployed to Crimea
- Three dead in east Ukraine, Putin warns of 'abyss' |
- Search for Malaysia jet refocuses on drone scans of sea floor
- Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors |
- India holds biggest day of voting with Hindu nationalists gaining strength