Tennis-Sharapova makes cameo appearance to reach round three
PARIS May 31 (Reuters) - Maria Sharapova survived a string of unforced errors to book her place in the third round of the French Open on Friday with a 6-2 6-4 rain-delayed win against Canada's Eugenie Bouchard.
The defending champion, seeded second at Roland Garros, returned to Court Philippe Chatrier leading 6-2 4-2 after the match had been interrupted by rain late on Thursday.
Despite Bouchard's late fight and a total of 28 unforced errors from the Russian, Sharapova wrapped it up in 15 minutes on her first match point.
She will face China's Zheng Jie for a last-16 spot. (Reporting by Julien Pretot; Editing by Mark Meadows)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Yanukovich backs Ukraine compromise talks as tensions rise
- Chinese hackers spied on Europeans before G20 meeting - researcher
- U.S. exits GM stake in $10 billon loss for taxpayers |
- U.S. Korean War veteran released by North says made 'confession' under duress
- Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on media