Tennis-Schiavone grabs attention with Bartoli demolition in Paris
PARIS, June 1
PARIS, June 1 (Reuters) - Former champion Francesca Schiavone produced an attention-grabbing display of claycourt tennis to advance into the fourth round of the French Open with a 6-2 6-1 annihilation of French 13th seed Marion Bartoli on Saturday.
With all eyes on defending champion Maria Sharapova and world number one Serena Williams, Italian Schiavone, the 2010 Roland Garros winner, had gone unnoticed until she ended Bartoli's run in ruthless fashion on Court Suzanne Lenglen.
Bartoli fought until the end but there was little she could do against Schiavone's repertoire of sliced backhands, spinning forehands and cunning lobs that got the better of the Frenchwoman after 78 minutes.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 1-Don't mess with nuclear Russia, Putin says
- Don't mess with nuclear Russia, Putin says
- Ukraine seeks to join NATO; defiant Putin compares Kiev to Nazis |
- Scotland's pro-independence campaign gains on final TV debate - poll
- Exclusive - Over 100 Russian soldiers killed in single Ukraine battle - Russian rights activists