Tennis-Schiavone grabs attention with Bartoli demolition in Paris
PARIS, June 1
PARIS, June 1 (Reuters) - Former champion Francesca Schiavone produced an attention-grabbing display of claycourt tennis to advance into the fourth round of the French Open with a 6-2 6-1 annihilation of French 13th seed Marion Bartoli on Saturday.
With all eyes on defending champion Maria Sharapova and world number one Serena Williams, Italian Schiavone, the 2010 Roland Garros winner, had gone unnoticed until she ended Bartoli's run in ruthless fashion on Court Suzanne Lenglen.
Bartoli fought until the end but there was little she could do against Schiavone's repertoire of sliced backhands, spinning forehands and cunning lobs that got the better of the Frenchwoman after 78 minutes.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- India gets its first transgender TV news anchor - newspaper
- About 60,000 Syrian Kurds flee to Turkey from Islamic State advance
- Pope's Albania visit prompts long-awaited facelift for Tirana square
- Sierra Leone Ebola burial team attacked despite lockdown |
- Sierra Leone Ebola burial team attacked despite lockdown