Tennis-Sharapova through to last 16 after scare
PARIS, June 1
PARIS, June 1 (Reuters) - Defending champion Maria Sharapova was pushed for the first time at the French Open before overcoming tenacious Chinese player Zheng Jie 6-1 7-5 on Chatrier Court on Saturday.
The Russian second seed, playing for the third day in succession after needing two days to complete her second round because of rain, was forced into a scrap after initially looking a class above her 43rd-ranked opponent.
Sharapova trailed 4-1 in the second set, clawed back to 4-4, then fell 5-4 behind with Zheng serving to level the match but turned up the volume of her grunting and her play to avoid being extended further.
The 26-year-old wrapped up victory when Zheng netted a forehand service return, moving through to a last-16 clash against American Sloane Stephens. (Reporting by Martyn Herman; Editing by Clare Fallon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Paris Masters men's singles round 3 results
- Kurds' battle for Kobani unites a people divided by borders
- RBS takes 400 million pound forex hit and warns more to come
- British banks buoyed by new rules on risk buffers
- Japan's central bank shocks markets with more easing as inflation slows |