Tennis-Breathless Errani beats Suarez Navarro to reach last eight
PARIS, June 2
PARIS, June 2 (Reuters) - Last year's beaten finalist Sara Errani overcame breathing difficulties to beat Spain's Carla Suarez Navarro 5-7 6-4 6-3 and book her place in the quarter-finals of the French Open on Sunday.
Italy's Errani, who lost to Maria Sharapova at Roland Garros last year, took a medical timeout towards the end of the first set after doubling up in pain.
The fifth seed went on to lose that set, but swiftly recovered, to set up a last-eight meeting with fourth seed Agnieszka Radwanska.
"I started to feel a stabbing pain when breathing," she said pointing under her ribs.
"I knew it wasn't muscular, but I couldn't stand up. So I called the physio and she told me that my diaphragm was totally blocked. She tried to release it a bit and afterwards it was much better.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UK major threw laptop with sensitive Iraq photos from ferry
- Exclusive: Son of former Chinese security chief helping with graft probe - sources
- Dementia epidemic looms with 135 million sufferers seen by 2050
- Special Report - Thailand secretly dumps Myanmar refugees into trafficking rings
- UPDATE 2-Iran, Iraq put OPEC on notice of big oil increases