UPDATE 1-Tennis-Azarenka eyes first semi-final spot at Roland Garros
(Adds next opponent, quotes)
PARIS, June 3 (Reuters) - Women's third seed Victoria Azarenka roared past Italian former champion Francesca Schiavone into the quarter-finals of the French Open on Monday, winning 6-3 6-0 on Chatrier Court.
A match more notable for the wails, groans and kung-fu style yelps coming from both sides of the net featured five consecutive service breaks in the first set before Azarenka pulled clear to dominate the 2010 winner.
Belarussian Azarenka will now face Russian Mari Kirilenko chasing her first ever semi-final appearance at Roland Garros after Kirilenko beat American Bethanie Mattek-Sands 7-5 6-4.
It was a bad day for Americans with Sloane Stephens losing to defending champion Maria Sharapova and Jamie Hampton falling to Serbia's Jelena Jankovic.
"I played Maria a lot of times," Azarenka told reporters.
"She's definitely improved a lot over the last couple years since she's very motivated player."
Kirilenko has reached her first quarter-final at Roland Garros but is troubled by a shoulder injury.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Paris Masters men's singles round 3 results
- Kurds' battle for Kobani unites a people divided by borders
- RBS takes 400 million pound forex hit and warns more to come
- British banks buoyed by new rules on risk buffers
- Japan's central bank shocks markets with more easing as inflation slows |