Tennis-Errani cuts down Radwanska to reach Paris semi-finals
PARIS, June 4
PARIS, June 4 (Reuters) - Sara Errani proved her run to last year's French Open final was no fluke as she toppled Polish fourth seed Agnieszka Radwanska 6-4 7-6 (6) to reach the semi-finals on Tuesday.
In a scrappy match where the second set alone featured eight breaks of serve, it was the diminutive Italian who finally raised her arms in celebration after her opponent whipped a backhand into the tramlines.
Errani's prolific work ethic this year - her 81 matches is almost double that of anyone else in the top 10 - paid off as she flummoxed Radwanska with an array of ferocious forehands, delightful dropshots and luscious lobs.
The Italian fifth seed secured her first ever win over a top five player to book a semi-final date with either world number one Serena Williams or former champion Svetlana Kuznetsova. (Reporting by Pritha Sarkar, editing by Justin Palmer)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Europe won't recognise vote in eastern Ukraine, Merkel tells Putin
- Portugal scrambles jets again to intercept Russian bombers
- Kurdish peshmerga forces enter Syria's Kobani after further air strikes |
- Australia Union wanted to rip up Beale contract - chairman
- Army officer takes charge in Burkina Faso, ousting general |