UPDATE 1-Tennis-Serena beats Sharapova to win second French Open title
PARIS, June 8
PARIS, June 8 (Reuters) - World number one Serena Williams clinched her second French Open title when she beat defending champion Maria Sharapova of Russia 6-4 6-4 in the final on Saturday.
The 31-year-old American, who won her first Roland Garros title in 2002, became the oldest player since tennis turned professional in 1968 to lift the Suzanne Lenglen Cup after overpowering the second seed on Court Philippe Chatrier.
Williams, who now has 16 grand slam titles to her name, recovered from a slow start to take the opening set after breaking three times.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Polls say Scotland will spurn independence, but are they right?
- Ukraine accuses Russia of 'open aggression' as rebels advance |
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-U.S. Open women's singles round 4 results
- Australia unveils fresh sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
- Iceland cuts aviation alert to orange, no ash from new eruption |