UPDATE 1-Tennis-Serena beats Sharapova to win second French Open title
PARIS, June 8
PARIS, June 8 (Reuters) - World number one Serena Williams clinched her second French Open title when she beat defending champion Maria Sharapova of Russia 6-4 6-4 in the final on Saturday.
The 31-year-old American, who won her first Roland Garros title in 2002, became the oldest player since tennis turned professional in 1968 to lift the Suzanne Lenglen Cup after overpowering the second seed on Court Philippe Chatrier.
Williams, who now has 16 grand slam titles to her name, recovered from a slow start to take the opening set after breaking three times.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Serbian fan killed in Istanbul Euroleague violence – consul
- UK troops in largest armoured deployment in Eastern Europe for six years
- Islamic State targeted in 30 air strikes by U.S., allies
- In class obsessed Britain, tweet of 'white van' man hits nerve
- Conservatives, states set to launch legal blitz against Obama over immigration