Swedish club reports itself to police over match-fixing suspicions
STOCKHOLM, June 13 - Swedish fourth-tier side Syrianska Kerburan have taken the unusual step of reporting themselves to police over suspicions of match-fixing, according to a club statement.
Bookmakers stopped taking money on Syrianska's home league game against Kvarnshedens IK after large bets were placed on the away side. Syrianska lost the tie 5-1.
The club said they took the "unanimous decision" to report the situation to police to ensure a thorough investigation takes place and to clear their name.
"All people - players, coaches, the club board and employees - who had any involvement in the club's representative team activities shall now be considered subject to police investigation," the statement said.
(Reporting by Philip O'Connor in Stockholm; editing by Martyn Herman)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- 'We won't pay,' furious Cameron tells EU over surprise budget
- Britain slams EU budget demand, others see 'molehills'
- UPDATE 2-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin results
- Stellar Lamela produces goal of the season, word of the day