Swedish club reports itself to police over match-fixing suspicions
STOCKHOLM, June 13 - Swedish fourth-tier side Syrianska Kerburan have taken the unusual step of reporting themselves to police over suspicions of match-fixing, according to a club statement.
Bookmakers stopped taking money on Syrianska's home league game against Kvarnshedens IK after large bets were placed on the away side. Syrianska lost the tie 5-1.
The club said they took the "unanimous decision" to report the situation to police to ensure a thorough investigation takes place and to clear their name.
"All people - players, coaches, the club board and employees - who had any involvement in the club's representative team activities shall now be considered subject to police investigation," the statement said.
(Reporting by Philip O'Connor in Stockholm; editing by Martyn Herman)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Battle over Scottish independence slightly tightens in new poll
- Ukraine launches 'gradual' operation, action limited |
- Scores rescued from sinking South Korean ferry, two dead - officials
- Poland: NATO should send troops to east Europe, ignore Russia's objections
- UPDATE 16-Tennis-Monte Carlo Masters men's singles results