Tennis-Teenager Vekic denied first WTA title by Hantuchova
June 16 (Reuters) - Sixteen-year-old Croatian Donna Vekic was denied her first WTA title as she lost 7-6(5) 6-4 to Tour stalwart Daniela Hantuchova in the Aegon Classic final in Birmingham on Sunday.
Vekic, the youngest player in the top 350 in the rankings, fell in her second final of the year as Hantuchova's greater experience edged her to her first title at the Wimbledon warm-up event at Edgbaston, having been runner-up in 2011.
Slovakian former world number five Hantuchova, 30, claimed her sixth career title.
(Reporting by Martyn Herman, editing by Mark Pangallo)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Qatar will not host 2022 World Cup, says FIFA's Zwanziger
- U.S., backed by Arabs, launches first strikes on fighters in Syria |
- M&S frees Alan Stewart to take up Tesco CFO role early
- Philips to split off lighting business, form separate company
- Tesco cuts profit outlook again and suspends staff after accounting error |