Tennis-Venus Williams pulls out of Wimbledon
LONDON, June 18
LONDON, June 18 (Reuters) - American Venus Williams has pulled out of this year's Wimbledon because of a back injury, the five-times singles champion said on Tuesday.
The 33-year-old has not played since pulling out of the doubles at this year's French Open.
"I will not be able to participate in Wimbledon," Williams wrote on her Facebook page. "I am extremely disappointed as I have always loved The Championships."
Williams won her last Wimbledon title in 2008. Her sister Serena is the defending champion in this year's tournament which starts on Monday. (Reporting by Ed Osmond; Editing by Mark Pangallo)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- India gets its first transgender TV news anchor - newspaper
- About 60,000 Syrian Kurds flee to Turkey from Islamic State advance
- Pope's Albania visit prompts long-awaited facelift for Tirana square
- Sierra Leone Ebola burial team attacked despite lockdown |
- Sierra Leone Ebola burial team attacked despite lockdown