Tennis-Russia's Kuznetsova pulls out of Wimbledon
LONDON, June 19
LONDON, June 19 (Reuters) - Twice grand slam champion Svetlana Kuznetsova pulled out of Wimbledon on Wednesday with an abdominal strain.
Officials said Czech Klara Zakopalova had been installed as 32nd seed following the Russian's withdrawal with the original seeds between 32 and 27 being moved up one place.
Kuznetsova, who was seeded 26th for the grasscourt major which begins on Monday, was the only player to take a set off eventual champion Serena Williams at this month's French Open.
The 27-year-old, who has never been past the quarter-finals in 10 previous visits to Wimbledon, was a first-round loser a year ago. (Reporting by Pritha Sarkar, editing by Ken Ferris)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Britain does U-turn on ex-KGB agent Litvinenko murder inquiry
- Train carrying MH17 bodies on final journey reaches Ukraine city |
- Bodies, black boxes handed over from Ukraine crash site |
- China food scandal spreads, drags in Starbucks, Burger King and McNuggets in Japan |
- Shooting champion withdrawn after jacket goes missing