Tennis-Russia's Kuznetsova pulls out of Wimbledon
LONDON, June 19
LONDON, June 19 (Reuters) - Twice grand slam champion Svetlana Kuznetsova pulled out of Wimbledon on Wednesday with an abdominal strain.
Officials said Czech Klara Zakopalova had been installed as 32nd seed following the Russian's withdrawal with the original seeds between 32 and 27 being moved up one place.
Kuznetsova, who was seeded 26th for the grasscourt major which begins on Monday, was the only player to take a set off eventual champion Serena Williams at this month's French Open.
The 27-year-old, who has never been past the quarter-finals in 10 previous visits to Wimbledon, was a first-round loser a year ago. (Reporting by Pritha Sarkar, editing by Ken Ferris)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- South Korea recovers first bodies from inside sunken ferry |
- Deadly gun attack in eastern Ukraine shakes fragile Easter truce |
- Special Report - How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- Malaysian plane search in 44th day, sea bed scans could end in days
- Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts |