Tennis-Federer and Murray headline Wimbledon's Mega Monday
LONDON, June 24
LONDON, June 24 (Reuters) - Dubbed as Mega Monday, the first day of Wimbledon bursts into life later with defending champion Roger Federer, home crowd favourite Andy Murray and women's contender Maria Sharapova all in action on Centre Court.
Seven-time Wimbledon winner Federer begins his tournament against Victor Hanescu of Romania at 1200 GMT, while Russia's Sharapova takes on Kristina Mladenovic straight after.
Eyes will then focus on last year's runner-up Murray, who begins his search for an elusive Wimbledon crown in a tie with Germany's Benjamin Becker.
Other showcourt feature matches include Rafa Nadal, who has his first round match against Steve Darcis on Court One, while French powerhouse Jo-Wilfried Tsonga plays Belgian David Goffin on Court Two.
In the women's singles, world number two Victoria Azarenka meets Maria Joao Koehler and Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki is up against Spain's Estrella Cabeza Candela on Court Three. (Reporting By Mark Pangallo; Editing by Mark Meadows; firstname.lastname@example.org; +44 20 7542 7933; Reuters Messaging:; email@example.com; To sign up for our Global Sports Forum chatroom, click here)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Qatar will not host 2022 World Cup, says FIFA's Zwanziger
- U.S. and Arab allies launch first strikes on militants in Syria |
- Israel says its troops kill Hamas men accused of slaying teens |
- Britain close to joining U.S.-led air strikes against Islamic State
- AstraZeneca, Shire dive as U.S. tax move punctures deal hopes