Tennis-Nadal suffers shock Wimbledon defeat by Belgian Darcis
LONDON, June 24
LONDON, June 24 (Reuters) - Twice former champion Rafa Nadal was knocked out in the first round of Wimbledon by 135th-ranked Belgian Steve Darcis on Monday, the Spaniard losing 7-6(4) 7-6(8) 6-4.
The 12-times grand slam champion found Darcis in inspired form as he lost in the first round of a grand slam for the first time in his career.
It was the second year in succession that French Open champion Nadal has suffered a shock Wimbledon exit after his second-round loss to Lukas Rosol a year ago. (Reporting by Martyn Herman; Editing by Ken Ferris)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Polls say Scotland will spurn independence, but are they right?
- Ukraine accuses Russia of 'undisguised aggression' as rebels advance |
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-U.S. Open women's singles round 4 results
- Iceland cuts aviation alert to orange, no ash from new eruption |
- Australia unveils fresh sanctions against Russia over Ukraine