Tennis-Nadal suffers shock Wimbledon defeat by Belgian Darcis
LONDON, June 24
LONDON, June 24 (Reuters) - Twice former champion Rafa Nadal was knocked out in the first round of Wimbledon by 135th-ranked Belgian Steve Darcis on Monday, the Spaniard losing 7-6(4) 7-6(8) 6-4.
The 12-times grand slam champion found Darcis in inspired form as he lost in the first round of a grand slam for the first time in his career.
It was the second year in succession that French Open champion Nadal has suffered a shock Wimbledon exit after his second-round loss to Lukas Rosol a year ago. (Reporting by Martyn Herman; Editing by Ken Ferris)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Putin admits Russian forces were deployed to Crimea
- Vice principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits suicide |
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Monte Carlo Masters men's singles round 3 results
- East Ukraine separatists stay put despite diplomatic deal
- Singer Chris Brown's bodyguard on trial for assault