Tennis-Serena completes routine win over Minella
LONDON, June 25
LONDON, June 25 (Reuters) - Serena Williams began the defence of her Wimbledon title with a comfortable 6-1 6-3 victory over Luxembourg's Mandy Minella on Tuesday to stretch her unbeaten run to 32 matches.
The world number one, playing her first match since winning the French Open, scorched through the first set in 19 minutes, but was given a brief fright at the start of the second when she lost her serve to go 2-0 down.
The 16-times grand slam winner swiftly regained control, however, breaking in the very next game, before romping away with the match.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- UK's fate in the balance as poll shows record support for Scottish independence
- Kremlin adviser says military strategy to reflect Ukraine crisis, NATO expansion - RIA
- Europe drafts emergency energy plan with eye on Russia gas shut-down
- Low-carb diets may beat low-fat options for weight loss, heart health