STATBOX-Tennis-Federer's second-round Wimbledon defeat
June 26 (Reuters) - Seven-times champion Roger Federer's shock Wimbledon defeat by world No.116 Sergiy Stakhovsky on Wednesday was one of the sport's great upsets and ended his run of reaching at least the quarter-finals of the last 36 grand slam tournaments.
Here are some other facts about Federer's second-round exit.
It was Federer's earliest defeat at Wimbledon since he lost in the first round in 2002
It was his earliest defeat at a grand slam since he lost in the first round at the 2003 French Open
It was Federer's worst defeat at a grand slam (or any event) since losing to world No. 154 Mario Ancic in the first round at Wimbledon in 2002.
It was his first defeat by a player ranked outside the top 100 since losing to No. 101 Richard Gasquet in the quarter-finals at Monte Carlo in 2005
It was the earliest defeat for a Wimbledon defending champion since Lleyton Hewitt lost to Ivo Karlovic in the first round in 2003
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- Britain slams EU budget demand, others see 'molehills'
- UPDATE 2-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin results
- Stellar Lamela produces goal of the season, word of the day
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally