Tennis-Ferrer wins all-Spanish clash to book third round spot
LONDON, June 28
LONDON, June 28 (Reuters) - David Ferrer came out on top in an all-Spanish second round match at Wimbledon, getting the better of a baseline battle to beat Roberto Bautista Agut 6-3 3-6 7-6(4) 7-5 on Friday.
When fourth seed Ferrer claimed the first set after 43 minutes, there was no hint that the 60th-ranked Bautista Agut could upset the country's pecking order and reach the third round of a grand slam for the first time.
But his clever shot-making drew a string of unforced errors from this year's French Open finalist Ferrer in the second set and he tenaciously dug-in to take the third set to a tiebreak.
However, Ferrer kept his nerve to regain the lead, broke in the 11th game of the fourth set and closed it out to set up a third-round match against Ukraine's Alexandr Dolgopolov. (Reporting by Toby Davis; editing by Ken Ferris)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Ten countries scour sea for Malaysia jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- Voters more receptive to UKIP than polls show - study
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Confrontation in Ukraine as diplomacy stalls |
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air - source |