Tennis-Ferrer wins all-Spanish clash to book third round spot
LONDON, June 28
LONDON, June 28 (Reuters) - David Ferrer came out on top in an all-Spanish second round match at Wimbledon, getting the better of a baseline battle to beat Roberto Bautista Agut 6-3 3-6 7-6(4) 7-5 on Friday.
When fourth seed Ferrer claimed the first set after 43 minutes, there was no hint that the 60th-ranked Bautista Agut could upset the country's pecking order and reach the third round of a grand slam for the first time.
But his clever shot-making drew a string of unforced errors from this year's French Open finalist Ferrer in the second set and he tenaciously dug-in to take the third set to a tiebreak.
However, Ferrer kept his nerve to regain the lead, broke in the 11th game of the fourth set and closed it out to set up a third-round match against Ukraine's Alexandr Dolgopolov. (Reporting by Toby Davis; editing by Ken Ferris)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Israel strikes house of Hamas Gaza leader, digs in for long fight |
- Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola outbreak
- U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- Court orders Russia to pay $50 billion for seizing Yukos assets |
- Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border |