Tennis-Del Potro out-guns Seppi to reach last eight
LONDON, July 1
LONDON, July 1 (Reuters) - Eighth seed Juan Martin Del Potro muscled his way into the Wimbledon quarter-finals with a powerful 6-4 7-6(2) 6-3 win over Italy's Andreas Seppi on Monday.
The Argentine's knee was heavily strapped following a nasty fall in his third-round match, but his slightly cumbersome movement was no barrier to a straight-sets demolition of the 28th-ranked Seppi.
He broke in the seventh game of the first set before wrapping it up in 52 minutes, stayed solid to come through the second in a tiebreak, before breaking in the second game of the third set to effectively end the Italian's resistance.
Del Potro will face Spain's David Ferrer in the last eight.
(Reporting by Toby Davis; editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Mandela's body lying in state, thousands queue to say goodbye |
- Boxing champ Klitschko faces ban on running for Ukraine presidency
- Boos, jeers humiliate South Africa's Zuma at Mandela memorial
- FCA fines Lloyds record 28 million pounds for pushing sales
- Ukrainian riot police withdraw after overnight move on demonstrators