Tennis-Djokovic continues march through draw
LONDON, July 1
LONDON, July 1 (Reuters) - Top seed Novak Djokovic continued his stroll through the top half of the Wimbledon draw with a 6-1 6-4 7-6(4) victory over Tommy Haas to reach the quarter-finals on Monday.
The Serb, bidding for a second title at the All England Club, is yet to drop a set, although he did have a hiccup when he trailed in the second against 35-year-old German Haas.
Haas, blown off court in a 25-minute opening set, raised his game to break in the fifth game of the second set but Djokovic hit back to level at 4-4 with a crosscourt backhand winner.
Normal service was soon resumed as Djokovic took the second set and moved 5-2 ahead in the third but Haas managed one last counter-attack to stretch the contest into a tiebreak.
With the light fading Djokovic slammed the door shut to roll on. (Reporting by Martyn Herman, editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Britain does U-turn on ex-KGB agent Litvinenko murder inquiry
- Train carrying MH17 bodies on final journey reaches Ukraine city |
- Bodies, black boxes handed over from Ukraine crash site |
- Shooting champion withdrawn after jacket goes missing
- China food scandal spreads, drags in Starbucks, Burger King and McNuggets in Japan |