Tennis-Bartoli takes first set of Wimbledon final 6-1
LONDON, July 6
LONDON, July 6 (Reuters) - Marion Bartoli took the first set of the Wimbledon final 6-1 against an out of sorts Sabine Lisicki on a sun-drenched Centre Court on Saturday.
Lisicki, the 23rd seed, broke the Frenchwoman's serve in the opening game of the match but Bartoli broke straight back and took advantage of a catalogue of unforced errors by the German to secure the set in 31 minutes.
Lisicki's booming serve never functioned smoothly and Bartoli, seeded 15th, kept the ball away from her dangerous forehand to move within one set of her first grand slam title.
(Reporting by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- Argentine markets fall post-default, New York hearing on Friday
- Israel, Palestinian militant groups agree to three-day Gaza truce |
- Iraqi Kurds, battling Islamist threat, press Washington for arms
- Heavy shelling, clashes spread in Libya's Tripoli