Copenhagen swoop for former Sweden defender Mellberg
(Reuters) - Former Sweden defender Olof Mellberg has signed a two-year contract with Danish champions FC Copenhagen after leaving Spanish club Villarreal.
"The history of Copenhagen speaks for itself," Mellberg said in a statement, referring to the 10-times league winners.
"I feel I can contribute on the field but I also hope I contribute off it with the experience I have gained from the various clubs I have represented."
Capped 117 times by Sweden, Mellberg has appeared in the finals of six major tournaments including Euro 2012.
Having previously played for Aston Villa, Olympiakos Piraeus and Juventus, the 36-year-old arrives in Copenhagen having won promotion to Spain's top flight with Villarreal last season.
Copenhagen will play in the 2013-14 Champions League.
(Reporting by Philip O'Connor; editing by Tony Jimenez)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- UK's fate in the balance as poll shows record support for Scottish independence
- Kremlin adviser says military strategy to reflect Ukraine crisis, NATO expansion - RIA
- Europe drafts emergency energy plan with eye on Russia gas shut-down
- Low-carb diets may beat low-fat options for weight loss, heart health