Copenhagen swoop for former Sweden defender Mellberg
(Reuters) - Former Sweden defender Olof Mellberg has signed a two-year contract with Danish champions FC Copenhagen after leaving Spanish club Villarreal.
"The history of Copenhagen speaks for itself," Mellberg said in a statement, referring to the 10-times league winners.
"I feel I can contribute on the field but I also hope I contribute off it with the experience I have gained from the various clubs I have represented."
Capped 117 times by Sweden, Mellberg has appeared in the finals of six major tournaments including Euro 2012.
Having previously played for Aston Villa, Olympiakos Piraeus and Juventus, the 36-year-old arrives in Copenhagen having won promotion to Spain's top flight with Villarreal last season.
Copenhagen will play in the 2013-14 Champions League.
(Reporting by Philip O'Connor; editing by Tony Jimenez)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Swedish 'Cold War' thriller exposes Baltic Sea nerves over Russia
- Total CEO killed in Moscow airport plane accident - Tass
- Polish ex-minister quoted saying Putin offered to divide Ukraine with Poland
- Al Qaeda attacks kill at least 33 people in Yemen
- Total CEO warns against new Berlin Wall with Russia