Motor racing-Ricciardo to test for Red Bull at Silverstone
LONDON, July 16
LONDON, July 16 (Reuters) - Daniel Ricciardo's hopes of replacing fellow-Australian Mark Webber at Red Bull were given a boost on Tuesday when the Formula One champions announced he would test for them at Silverstone this week.
Red Bull said the Toro Rosso driver, who is facing competition from Lotus's Kimi Raikkonen to partner triple world champion Sebastian Vettel in 2014, would be in their car on Wednesday afternoon.
Webber, who has announced his departure at the end of the season for Le Mans sportscar racing with Porsche, will test the Pirelli tyres on Thursday afternoon and Vettel will be in the car on Friday.
Highly-rated Portuguese Antonio Félix da Costa, a member of the Red Bull young driver programme who would be likely to replace Ricciardo at Toro Rosso, will test in the morning on Wednesday and Thursday.
The Silverstone test was originally intended to be for young drivers but was opened up to regular race drivers to test for Pirelli after a spate of blowouts at the circuit during last month's British Grand Prix. (Reporting by Alan Baldwin; Editing by John O'Brien)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Exclusive - Over 100 Russian soldiers killed in single Ukraine battle - Russian rights activists
- Scotland's pro-independence campaign gains on final TV debate - poll
- Russia says military planning will take account of NATO moves on borders
- Analysis - Bitcoin shows staying power as online merchants chase digital sparkle
- Ukraine president accuses Russian soldiers of backing rebel thrust |