Motor racing-Race of Champions returning to Bangkok
July 18 (Reuters) - The annual Race of Champions event, won by Germany's Formula One champions Sebastian Vettel and Michael Schumacher for the past six years, is returning to Bangkok in December.
Organisers said in a statement on Thursday that Thailand had successfully bid to hold the event again at the Rajamangala stadium on Dec. 14-15 - three weeks after the end of the Formula one season.
The competition, held every year since 1988, brings together top drivers from the world of motorsport - including rallying, Le Mans, MotoGP and IndyCar - to compete head-to-head in identical machinery.
French Formula One driver Romain Grosjean was the individual winner last year, with Germany taking the team title.
"Last year's ROC was Thailand's largest motor sport event ever. It was an enormous success and put Thailand on the map for major sports events," said Kanokphand Chulakasem, governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT). (Reporting by Alan Baldwin in London; Editing by John O'Brien)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Paris Masters men's singles round 3 results
- Japan shares soar, yen skids after BOJ stuns with new easing steps
- Ukraine, Russia, EU agree to natural gas supply deal
- Kurds' battle for Kobani unites a people divided by borders
- American detained in North Korea gets job back with Ohio city