Tennis-Former champion Stosur stunned by qualifier
NEW YORK Aug 27 (Reuters) - Former champion Sam Stosur was bundled out of the U.S. Open by American teenager Victoria Duval on Tuesday.
The 11th seeded Australian was defeated 5-7 6-4 6-4 by the 17-year-old qualifier in the first major upset of the women's event.
Stosur, the 2011 champion in New York, looked to have control of the match when she led 4-2 in the second set.
Duval held her nerve, though, to serve out for the win in two hours and 39 minutes on Louis Armstrong Stadium. (Reporting by Will Swanton; Editing by Nick Mulvenney)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Children's corpses reveal desperate attempts to escape Korean ferry |
- Australia, Malaysia vow to keep searching to solve plane mystery
- Search for MH370 reveals a military vulnerability for China
- Man United act to halt slide as power shifts back to Liverpool
- Ukraine's leaders say have U.S. backing to take on 'aggressors' |