Tennis-Former champion Stosur stunned by qualifier
NEW YORK Aug 27 (Reuters) - Former champion Sam Stosur was bundled out of the U.S. Open by American teenager Victoria Duval on Tuesday.
The 11th seeded Australian was defeated 5-7 6-4 6-4 by the 17-year-old qualifier in the first major upset of the women's event.
Stosur, the 2011 champion in New York, looked to have control of the match when she led 4-2 in the second set.
Duval held her nerve, though, to serve out for the win in two hours and 39 minutes on Louis Armstrong Stadium. (Reporting by Will Swanton; Editing by Nick Mulvenney)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Israel says truce over after soldier apparently captured in Gaza |
- Britain's RBS places restrictions on lending in Russia
- India says WTO deal not dead, can sign in Sept if concerns addressed
- Pressure mounts on Jadeja following week to forget
- Israel, Palestinian militant groups agree to three-day Gaza truce |