Tennis-Former champion Stosur stunned by qualifier
NEW YORK Aug 27 (Reuters) - Former champion Sam Stosur was bundled out of the U.S. Open by American teenager Victoria Duval on Tuesday.
The 11th seeded Australian was defeated 5-7 6-4 6-4 by the 17-year-old qualifier in the first major upset of the women's event.
Stosur, the 2011 champion in New York, looked to have control of the match when she led 4-2 in the second set.
Duval held her nerve, though, to serve out for the win in two hours and 39 minutes on Louis Armstrong Stadium. (Reporting by Will Swanton; Editing by Nick Mulvenney)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- On eve of secession vote, UK's fate hangs on a divided Scotland |
- Analysis - Market calm over Scottish vote at odds with disaster warnings
- As many as 700 migrants feared drowned in Mediterranean
- UK earnings edge up, unemployment falls more than expected
- Gerrard lights up Anfield with last-gasp Liverpool winner