Tennis-Defending champion Williams cruises into third round
NEW YORK Aug 29 (Reuters) - Serena Williams took another emphatic step in defense of her U.S. Open title by crushing Galina Voskoboeva of Kazakhstan 6-3 6-0 on Thursday to reach the third round of the year's final grand slam.
The top-seeded American took a short while to get accustomed to breezy conditions on Arthur Ashe Stadium court before winning 10 of the last 11 games in a 69-minute rout.
Williams, 31, has dropped just four games in four sets at Flushing Meadows this year, slamming the door on the 77th-ranked Voskoboeva by limiting her to nine points in the second set.
The world number one will next meet Voskoboeva's compatriot Yaroslava Shvedova, a 6-2 6-3 winner against Patricia Mayr-Achleitner of Austria. (Reporting by Larry Fine; Editing by Frank Pingue)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Qatar will not host 2022 World Cup, says FIFA's Zwanziger
- U.S. and Arab allies launch first strikes on militants in Syria |
- Israel says its troops kill Hamas men accused of slaying teens |
- Britain close to joining U.S.-led air strikes against Islamic State
- AstraZeneca, Shire dive as U.S. tax move punctures deal hopes