Tennis-Vinci through to U.S. Open quarters
NEW YORK, Sept 2
NEW YORK, Sept 2 (Reuters) - Roberta Vinci charged into the quarter-finals of the U.S. Open on Monday with a 6-4 6-2 win over fellow Italian Camila Giorgi.
Vinci, seeded 10th, needed just over an hour to see off her younger opponent, who had come through the qualifiers just to get into the main draw and beat former world number one Caroline Wozniacki to reach the fourth round.
Better known as a doubles player, Vinci advanced to the last eight at Flushing Meadows for the second year in a row.
She won the U.S. Open doubles last year with Sara Errani and the top seeds are through to the third round this year.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Israel, Palestinian militant groups agree to three-day Gaza truce |
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- Israel, Palestinian militant groups begin three-day Gaza truce |
- Disappointment, uncertainty after India blocks WTO trade deal
- Russia wants Apple, SAP to cooperate against foreign spying