Tennis-Vinci through to U.S. Open quarters
NEW YORK, Sept 2
NEW YORK, Sept 2 (Reuters) - Roberta Vinci charged into the quarter-finals of the U.S. Open on Monday with a 6-4 6-2 win over fellow Italian Camila Giorgi.
Vinci, seeded 10th, needed just over an hour to see off her younger opponent, who had come through the qualifiers just to get into the main draw and beat former world number one Caroline Wozniacki to reach the fourth round.
Better known as a doubles player, Vinci advanced to the last eight at Flushing Meadows for the second year in a row.
She won the U.S. Open doubles last year with Sara Errani and the top seeds are through to the third round this year.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Ukraine forces kill up to five rebels, Russia starts drill near border |
- Jodie Foster marries girlfriend Alexandra Hedison
- Boy and girl on Korean ferry drowned with life jackets tied together |
- Barclays chairman defends staff bonuses as Standard Life leads shareholder protests
- Australia rules out link between debris and Malaysian plane