Tennis-Azarenka dumps Pennetta to reach U.S. Open final
NEW YORK, Sept 6
NEW YORK, Sept 6 (Reuters) - Belarussian Victoria Azarenka beat Italian Flavia Pennetta 6-4 6-2 on Friday to reach her second consecutive U.S. Open final.
The Australian Open champion heads into Sunday's women's singles final having dropped just two sets in the year's last grand slam, where she was a runner-up last year to Serena Williams.
Azarenka, the second seed at Flushing Meadows, will play the winner of Friday's other semi-final matchup between top-seeded Williams and Chinese fifth seed Li Na. (Reporting by Simon Evans; Editing by Frank Pingue)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Children's corpses reveal desperate attempts to escape Korean ferry |
- Russia says it will respond if Ukraine interests attacked |
- Australia, Malaysia vow to keep searching to solve plane mystery
- Search for MH370 reveals a military vulnerability for China
- UK says scrambles jets to see off Russian planes near Scotland